Furnace Inspections Begin March 1, 2021
Starting Monday, March 1st, Robertson Morrison , our heating and cooling contractor, will be conducting furnace inspections throughout the cooperative. These inspections are not only recommended by the manufacturer but are also required by the City of Ann Arbor.
What & Why Are They Inspecting?
Providing constant airflow throughout your home is one of the most vital components of our heating and cooling systems. To ensure that these systems are working correctly, we will be inspecting furnace filters, as well as all heating and cold-air returns. These inspections will allow us to assess problems with the system, some of which may be caused by members, themselves.
To maintain safe and healthy airflow, members are always expected to:
- Replace the furnace filters supplied by Forest Hills, at least four times a year.
- Ensure that vents are free, uncovered, and unrestricted. The heating and cold-air returns located in each room of your unit should never be blocked—at any time, for any reason, by:
- furniture, chairs, couches, or mattresses
- carpeting or rugs
- boxes, or any other personal items
When filters are not changed, or when vents are blocked, covered, or restricted; proper airflow cannot be maintained. This could cause furnace components to overheat and burn out, which could, in turn, cause your entire system to shut down, leaving you without heat or air conditioning. Unfortunately, we have encountered this situation on several, recent occasions, and they indeed resulted in costly repairs. Please remember that if a heating/cooling system shuts down due to any of the conditions listed above, the member will be responsible for all repair costs.
Clear the Way
- Maintain a clear path throughout your home—in particular, from your front door to the basement.
- Maintain a minimum five-foot-wide path from your basement steps to the area surrounding your furnace, and extending to your electric-panel box.
Children & Pets
Be advised that we will be entering each room of your home.
- Please keep children and pets away from the area where work is being performed.
- Please confine pets to a crate or remove them from your home for the duration of the inspection.
The Inspection Process
What to Expect
- Three Robertson Morrison technicians will arrive, wearing uniforms and driving branded vehicles.
- The technicians will work in three separate units, while one member of our staﬀ rotates between them to assist when necessary.
- Inspection and any required maintenance should take approximately one hour, or more, based on their findings.
- All technicians and Forest Hills employees are health-screened daily.
- We will ask the same health-screening questions to each co-op member, prior to entering their unit.
- Technicians and maintenance staff will be wearing shoe covers and face masks.
- We ask each member to also wear a face mask while we are working in your home.
- Please also respect social distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from staff and technicians.
- If you are feeling unwell, waiting for the results of a COVID-19 test, or if anyone in your home is in quarantine or isolation, please let us know.
Without knowing ahead of time how much maintenance will be required for each unit, there is no way for us to provide an exact date for inspections. However, we can share the route that will be followed:
- 2400’s Shadowood
We will distribute notices to each unit when inspections begin in their court.
Need An Appointment?
If you prefer to be present when the inspection work is performed, please contact the office right away. We can provide you with a make-up date without a specific time-window. If you need your appointment at a certain time, a return-trip charge will be assessed by Robertson Morrison. Please contact the office directly to arrange that.
Since the contractor does charge us for each service call, if we do not hear from you about your scheduling needs, and we are unable to gain access to your unit on the day the contractors are working in your area, you will be responsible for Robertson Morrison's service fee.
Still Have Questions?
We realize inspections are disruptive. Please help us help you! If you have any concerns or questions, please call us during our regular business hours at 734-971-9270, or email us at